There are several things that you as a parent can do to assist the school in assuring the safety of your children. These things should be determined ahead of time and discussed with all members of the family.
- Update your child’s emergency information at school that lists people to notify in case of an emergency. Students will only be released to the people identified on the list.
- Make certain any persons responsible for your child have any necessary medications.
- Become knowledgeable in first aid procedures and keep first aid supplies available.
- Know the location of electricity, gas and water valves in your home and how and when to turn them off.
- Prepare and practice a Family Response Plan.
- Keep emergency readiness kits stocked and up-to-date.
- Teach your child how to recognize and respond to danger signals such as smoke detectors, fire alarms and local community warning systems.
- Help your child memorize important family information: name, address, phone number, and where to meet in case of an emergency.
As a courtesy, the DC Emergency and Safety Alliance (ESA) has compiled these links as resources to help parents and the community in their emergency response planning. Note that the District government is not responsible for information on websites outside the DC portal. Inquiries should be made to the sponsoring organizations.
The Be Ready DC application will help you and your family create an emergency plan.
The following information is available for emergency preparedness:
- Family Emergency Readiness Kit
- Reaction of Children to a Disaster
- Wireless AMBER Alerts for When a Child Is Missing or Abducted
- Child Car Safety Seat Inspections
- Safe Places for Youth in Crisis
- DC Residents Interested in Learning CPR
- Teaching Children to Be Prepared for Disasters
- Emergency Preparedness Resources for Parents and Teachers
- Safety Tips from the Metropolitan Police Department
- MPD School Bus Safety Tips
- Sex Offender Registry
- Parent and Family Resource Centers
- Wellness and Nutrition Services
- National Capitol Poison Center