Partnership and collaboration are essential components of the emergency planning effort. Therefore, the Emergency and Safety Alliance (ESA) was formed as an interagency team to plan, implement, manage, and sustain this project.
ESA is comprised of representatives from the Department of General Services (DGS), District of Columbia Office of Risk Management (DCORM), Metropolitan Police Department (MPDC), Fire and Emergency Medical Services (FEMS), Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA), Department of Health (DOH), District of Columbia Public Schools (DCPS), District of Columbia Public Charter School Board (PCSB), and the Executive Office of the Mayor (EOM).
This School Emergency Response Plan and Management Guide establishes the framework for creating, reviewing, or updating the emergency and crisis response plans for participating school buildings in the District of Columbia. Beginning with Section 1 each page in the Guide is dated in the footer to show the date of implementation and any revisions that may be made in the future.
In a natural or manmade disaster, or under elevated national security threat levels, events occur that necessitate the coordination and delivery of crisis intervention and response services. This Guide complements the District Response Plan and documents the commitment of District officials to establish a comprehensive system for rapid and effective response in the aftermath of crisis and disaster.
We would like to thank the Kentucky Center for School Safety and the Baltimore County Public Schools for the use of their manuals and methodologies in the development of this Guide. Much of this plan has been either directly adapted from or based on their efforts. We appreciate the hard work and dedication of the individuals from these respective school districts.
The School Emergency and Safety Alliance would like to express its gratitude to the following agencies for assistance in completing the School Emergency Response Plan and Management Guide:
- Executive Office of the Mayor
- Office of the Deputy Mayor for Education
- Department of General Services
- District of Columbia Fire and Emergency Medical Services Department
- District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department
- District of Columbia Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency
- District of Columbia Office of Risk Management
- District of Columbia Department of Health
- District of Columbia Department of Mental Health
- District of Columbia Office of the Chief Technology Officer
- District of Columbia Public Schools
- District of Columbia Public Charter School Board
Table of Contents
- Intro to the School Emergency Response Plan and Management Guide -- i
- Foreword -- iii
- Authorizing Signatories -- iv
- Acknowledgments -- v
- Acronyms and Abbreviations -- vi
- Section 1 Preparedness
- Section 2 Executive Support
- Section 3 Emergency Response Plan
- Section 4 Response Protocols
- Section 5 Recovery
- Section 6 Prevention Protocols
- Section 7 Appendices